If you're working on a project with more than 0 people (yourself included), version control is mandatory to preserve your sanity. In the Drupal world, git is the standard for source control. This presentation is focused on git for those who are entirely new to source control or who have only used legacy systems like CVS or Subversion.
Whether you are a site builder, developer, or themer, git is essential for collaborating with others. By the end of this session, you should know all the basics necessary to survive on a project team and to contribute in the Drupal ecosystem.
I will show you:
- How to clone a project from a remote repository
- How to implement a reasonable branching strategy
- How to commit changes to your branch
- How to merge those changes back
- How to produce patches suitable for submission to Drupal.org
- How to work with git hosts like Bitbucket and github
- A little advanced git magic like you are expected to know for the Acquia certification exams