Have you ever edited the appearance settings of a theme like Omega, and wondered how it provides its own custom options? Wouldn’t it be awesome if you could do this for your theme, and provide site builders with straightforward tools for choosing different style treatments, or localization settings? Then it’s time for you to dive into custom theme settings!
By leveraging custom theme settings themers can create a variety of controls to help site builders customize their sites, including localization options. In addition, advanced theme settings can be the perfect framework to build a one-size-fits-all theme on an enterprise level.
This presentation will cover:
- An introduction to developing custom theme settings, including best practices, and a few pitfalls to avoid.
- Useful examples of where custom theme settings can help provide site builders with site-wide style treatment options.
- How you can make use of custom theme settings for providing localization options.
- What’s new in Drupal 8 for advanced theme settings.
This presentation is intended for:
- Intermediate level themers who are looking to leverage custom theme settings.
- Themers who are responsible for maintaining themes that serve sites for a variety of units – including international ones – under one organization.
- Front-end types looking for an opportunity to become more familiar with Drupal’s form API.
A basic understanding of theme preprocessing functions is helpful, as well as other aspects of theming beyond styling, such as working with custom template files.
Well documented example themes (D7 & D8) will be demonstrated in the presentation and available for download so attendees can play along at home, and have a reference to work from when they’re ready to dive into custom theme settings.
After attending this session attendees will have a better understanding of how to get started with creating custom theme settings, and how you can build straightforward controls that let site builders easily customize their sites.